Ashley English Recipes
Pickled Collard Stems
Makes: Amount varies.
You Will Need:
- Collard green stems*
- Apple cider vinegar (1 cup per pint)
- Water (1 cup per pint)
- Sea salt, (about 1 teaspoon per pint)
- Bay leaf (2 per pint jar)
- Black peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, yellow and/or brown mustard seeds**
*Could also make with chard or kale stems.
**Use 1 tablespoon of seeds total per pint jar, scaling up in quantity as the jar size
increases. So, if you’d like a blend of seeds, be sure not to exceed 1 tablespoon of
mixed seeds total for each pint jar.
- Chop your stems to a length of your choosing, either bite-size or in longer spears.
- Place bay leaves into the bottom of a glass jar(s) to which a lid can be attached; top off with the collard stems.
- Place the vinegar, water, salt, and spices in a medium size pan. Bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the brine, including the spices, over the collard stems and bay leaves. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Secure a lid tightly atop the jar, and store in the refrigerator.
- Allow at least 24 hours infusing time before enjoying the pickles.