Ashley English Recipes
Carrot, Fennel, and Orange
Makes: 2 pints.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling or kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds
- ¾ pounds carrots, cut into 2-inch spears
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into 2-inch spears (reserve fronds)
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds, end pieces and seeds discarded
- Combine the water, vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic, and spices in a medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover with a lid, and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Divide the carrot spears, fennel spears, fennel fronds, and orange slices evenly between the two pint jars. Pour the spiced brine evenly over the vegetables, being careful to place 1 garlic clove into each jar along with the brine.
- Cover the jars with lids and place in the refrigerator. Allow to infuse for at least 24 hours before serving, keeping in mind that the longer the pickles infuse, the more developed the brine’s flavor will become, and the more intensely it will then transfer to the vegetables.
- Store any unused portion in the refrigerator and use within 1-2 months.